Monday, November 12, 2012

Weekly Response: Identity

This week, we learned about the myth of the "Model Minority," with a focus on Asian American students. Basically, the myth is that people of certain minorities are innately more intelligent and talented than other people. Sometimes, members of the minority take the stereotype and internalize it, and one of the biggest problems this can cause is an identity crisis in students. The story of adolescence is "Who Am I?" and so students have enough trouble figuring out who they are at this crucial time of transition and discovery in their lives, and you all know that. Add in the pressures of stereotypes and parental expectations turned up to eleven and you have a serious problem on your hands. It's hard enough being a teenager without being railroaded down a certain path of life before you even chisel out what your personal strengths and interests truly are. If I was pressured to be a doctor or an engineer, I would have failed out of college freshman year. I just do not have the mind for all the math an science involved. I love math and science, but my mind is just not built around it. I'm more right-brained I guess one could say. Anyway, personal identity is a serious issue that affects all students no matter who they are, and the contexts of your life can make it better or worse, and I'm glad this class took the time to teach me that I should create an environment that will allow students to learn more about themselves while they learn about English and literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment